Assignment: Anorexia Nervosa
Be able to describe the common versus different characteristics associated with the
conditions of anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. Do NOT focus on how these disorders are
diagnosed, but rather focus on the behavioral and physical characteristics of each disease.
Eating Disorder Statistics
• 30 million Americans suffer from an eating disorder • The rate of development of new cases of eating
disorders has been increasing since 1950 (Hudson et al., 2007; Streigel-Moore & Franko, 2003; Wade et al., 2011).
• There has been a rise in incidence of anorexia in young women 15-19 in each decade since 1930 (Hoek& van Hoeken, 2003).
• The incidence of bulimia in 10-39 year old women TRIPLED between 1988 and 1993 (Hoek& van Hoeken, 2003).
Risk factors for Eating Disorders
• they often occur with one or more other psychiatric disorders, which can complicate treatment and make recovery more difficult.
• Among those who suffer from eating disorders: – Alcohol and other substance abuse disorders are 4 times
more common than in the general populations (Harrop & Marlatt, 2010).
– Depression and other mood disorders co-occur quite frequently (Mangweth et al., 2003; McElroy, Kotwal, & Keck, 2006).
– There is a markedly elevated risk for obsessive- compulsive disorder (Altman & Shankman, 2009).
Biological risk factors
• Scientists are still researching possible biochemical or biological causes of eating disorders. Current research indicates that there are significant genetic contributions to eating disorders. (NEDA, 2017) – In some individuals with eating disorders, certain
chemicals in the brain that control hunger, appetite, and digestion have been found to be unbalanced. The exact meaning and implications of these imbalances remain under investigation.
– Eating disorders often run in families.
Diagnosing Anorexia Nervosa (APA, 2013)
• Anorexia nervosa is a mental health disorder characterized by distorted body image and excessive dieting that leads to severe weight loss with a pathological fear of becoming fat. – Females- more likely to focus on weight loss – Males- more likely to focus on muscle mass
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need help with this assignment?
Discount Code: SAVE25