Assignment: Core Nutritional Science
DNT 200 — NUTRITION FOR HEALTH SCIENCES
STUDY GUIDE 6: ENERGY METABOLISM AND WEIGHT CONTROL
Directions. Using Chapters 7, 8, and 9 of your textbook as a reference, answer the following questions. Please include the questions with your answers. Be sure to put your name on your document. Your answers should be thoughtful, complete, and in Standard English. Credit will not be given for answers copied from online sources.
2. Your friend Tiffany is taking a nutrition course at another local community college. She is having difficulty understanding the unit about the energy yielding pathways of carbohydrate, protein, and fat. Help her by discussing how the basic units of carbohydrate, protein, and fat are utilized in energy pathways to produce energy. Be thorough. Include their differences and similarities?
3. Tina W. is a 44 year old white female who has tried a number of weight-loss programs to include very strict diets. She has never exercised in her previous weight loss attempts. She takes several cardiac medications, none of which she can remember. She is 5’9” and weighs 195 pounds. Her lowest body weight was 135 pounds, when she was 30 years old. (She was able to maintain that weight for two years.) Her blood pressure is high, at 160/90. Tina mentioned that she tried numerous diets as a teenager when she weighed 170 pounds for 3 years.
a. Using the formulae in your text book, calculate Tina’s:
1. BMR (Hint: Be sure to read note b in the BMR column of Table 8-1). What is the meaning of your calculation?
2. Estimated Energy Requirements. Assume a sedentary activity level. What is the meaning of your calculation?
Show your work for both questions.
b. What types of exercise would you be likely to discuss with Tina?
c. What would be the goals of her treatment?
4. Determine your BMI. Is your BMI in a healthy range? If not, why not? Do you believe that measuring body fat percentage may more accurately reflect your body composition? Briefly discuss each body composition measure (e.g. skinfold calipers, bioelectrical impedance analysis, etc.) and discuss why measuring body fat is important in assessing a client’s overall health status.
5. Select one fad diet from any popular publication or online source. Using the ‘How To H9-1’ Box for Identifying a Fad Diet or Other Weight-Loss Scam (Highlight 9, page 291) of your textbook, evaluate the diet.
6. List and briefly explain the four main components of energy expenditure?
7. Kristin B. , like many Americans is overweight. Kristin is 43-year-old and a mother of two. She has gained 40 pounds since the birth of her youngest child five years ago. She is 64 inches tall and weighs 170 pounds with a BMI of 29.2. Her waist circumference is 37 inches. Kristin can’t figure out why it is so hard to lose weight and keep it off.
Kristin decides something must be wrong with her to be such a dieting failure. Maybe she just doesn’t have sufficient willpower or maybe she has abnormal metabolism. She feels tired most of the time and has very little energy. She is very busy with her children and has a demanding job as a middle school teacher. Kristin tries to cook healthy meals for her family but is often too tired or stressed to bother, so she stops to get some fast food on her way home. To make matters worse, her seven year-old son recently came home from school and said the kids were teasing him for being fat.
Kristin’s father recently died from complications of type 2 diabetes. At her last medical checkup, her blood pressure was mildly elevated but all of her laboratory blood tests were normal.
Kristin decides it is time to make some changes for her entire family but she doesn’t know quite where to start. She hopes she can help her son by finding a diet that works for him. Complicating the problem is the fact that Kristin’s husband doesn’t have a weight problem. Knowing that you are studying nutrition, Kristin decides to ask you for advice.
a. Based on her health history and physical measurements, describe how you would determine the seriousness of Kristin’s weight gain in relation to her health.
b. Using the information in chapter 9, what would you estimate to be a reasonable amount of weight for Kristin to lose over the next six months?
c. What are some advantages for Kristin of keeping a food and exercise record? What other habits besides food intake and physical activity may be especially useful for Kristin to record?
d. You advise Kristin to limit her daily caloric intake to 1,400 kcalories. Use Table 9-3 to plan one day of meals and snacks to meet her nutritional needs within this calorie level. Use the chart below (one row is already completed):
Pattern (e.g. fruit, vegetables, grain, etc.) – from Table 9-2
check attachment for table
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need help with this assignment?
Discount Code: SAVE25