Discussion: The SMOG Formula.
Week 4 discussion Topic 1 Create a pamphlet to be used as patient education material about a topic of your choice that can be used in your nursing practice. Evaluate the readability by comparing two different readability tests: the Fog index and the SMOG formula. Describe your results. Or Topic 2 Identify an experience where you had to assess the needs, interests, and goals of a patient with an ethnic background, different from yours, that resulted in a positive learning experience. How did you turn the situation into a positive learning experience? Did you personally have to deal with any stereotypical beliefs?There is an alternative method you can use to determine the reading level of your
written materials. This method is especially useful when you are revising existing
patient/family education materials and may not have access to the original Microsoft
Word document. This document was adapted from:
University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics. (1996). Developing health facts for you: An author’s guide. Madison,
Using the SMOG Formula:
1. Count 10 consecutive sentences near the beginning, middle, and end of your
material (30 total sentences).
2. Count every word with three or more syllables in the 30 sentences, even if the
same word appears more than once.
3. Add the total number of words counted. Use the SMOG Conversion Table to
find the grade level.
4. If your material has fewer than 30 sentences, follow the instructions for
“SMOG on Shorter Passages” and use SMOG Conversion Table II.
Word Counting Rules:
– A sentence is any string or words ending in a period, exclamation point or
– Words with hyphens count as one word.
– Proper nouns are counted.
– Read numbers out loud to decide the number of syllables.
– In long sentences with colons or semicolons followed by a list, count each part
of the list with the beginning phrase of the sentence as an individual sentence.
– Count abbreviations as if they were not abbreviated.
– Do not count verbs ending in “ed” or “es” that make the word have a third
SMOG for Shorter Passages (<30 sentences)
Use this formula and SMOG Conversion Table II for
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need help with this assignment?
Discount Code: SAVE25