Discussion: Traditional Asian Cultures
Patients from Asian cultures are often stoic in the face of pain because self-restraint is a strong cultural value. Complaining is viewed as having poor social skills. In traditional Asian cultures, preserving harmony in interactions with others is very important, so an individual should never draw personal attention, especially in negative ways. Though an individual may feel sadness or pain, it is not customary to make this obvious. This translates to communications with doctors and nurses, who have high status in Asian cultures. People of high status should not be bothered with complaints and should not be questioned (Carteret, 2011a).
Worldview is our perception of how the world works. It includes issues such as moral and ethical reasoning, social relationships, and communication. Health care professionals need to take a person’s worldview into consideration because it affects behaviors, perceptions, communication, and decisions. Some decisions are made daily, such as whether to take a medication or not, but major health decisions, such as beginning-and end-of-life decisions, are also subject to patients’ worldview.
Review 1. What does worldview mean? Provide examples of why it is important to consider worldview
in health care.
2. Provide examples of differences in verbal and nonverbal communication methods among different cultures.
3. Explain some beginning- and end-of-life decisions related to worldview and culture.
Select a culture of your choice. Write a paper explaining some key components of their worldview and explain how these views relate to health.
Case Study A physician receives the pathology report from a recent endoscopy of her patient, a 78-year-old Japanese man. The report reveals adenocarcinoma of the stomach. The physician intends to disclose the diagnosis to the patient. However, as the provider approaches the patient’s room, the patient’s daughter stops her. The daughter demands to know the diagnosis and states that, if indeed it is cancer, her father should not be told. The daughter insists that she and her mother will decide what is best for her father. She argues that in her father’s culture, family members make the decisions for the patient.
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need help with this assignment?
Discount Code: SAVE25